I haven’t had a pedicure since before my son was born. He is two years old! No, don’t feel sorry for me, I treat my tootsies to soothing and natural pedicures done by me. If you know of any salon that does ALL NATURAL pedicures let me know, but I’ve yet to find one!
- Most products such as lotions and nail polish used by conventional salon contain toxic chemicals. (Read here and here my posts on the dangers of chemicals in personal care products.)
- Tools and equipment used pose the risk of bacterial and fungal infections due to repeated use and unsuccessful sterilization. (source)
- It is expensive!
It is very simple to do your own natural pedicures; all it takes is 6 simple steps and all you need is probably already in your kitchen and in your bathroom!
- Soak your feet. Fill a basin or a large bowl (that you don’t use in the kitchen!) with warm water and 1 cup of raw apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of freshly grated ginger root . Soak for 15 minutes to soften up skin. Dispose of water and refill with clean warm water.
- Wash. Add a few drops of a liquid castille soap or any other natural liquid soap to water and submerge feet.
- Exfoliate. Use a natural scrub such as the one below and thoroughly work the scrub massaging your feet in circular motion. Use a pumice stone to remove any hard skin if needed.
- Trim. Using a toenail clipper cut nails. Then, using a cuticle pusher push back the cuticles, (cuting the cuticles is not recommended) lastly, file nails.
- Moisturize. Dry feet and use about a teaspoon of pure coconut oil and massage into feet and calves.
- Paint toenails. Use a nail polish that is free of toluene, dibutyl phthalate (DBP) and formaldehyde. (Check the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database to check if the brand you have contain any of the toxic chemicals I just mentioned.)
- 1/2 cup Epson Salts
- 1 tbs sea salt (finely ground)
- 2 tsp of freshly grated ginger root (one for soak, one for foot scrub)
- 1 tsp of coconut oil (or any other carrier oil like olive, almond, etc)
- 4 drops of pure peppermint essential oil
Why These Ingredients?