- Heavy or whipping cream (from grass-fed cows)
- That’s it. Seriously.
- Pour cream into a food processor, blender, or stand mixer (even a hand-held mixer will work)
- Agitate past the point of whipped cream until the the solid butter begins to separate from the liquid (the buttermilk)
- Strain the liquid (save it! See below)
- The retained solid can be kneaded either by hand to release the remainder of the buttermilk or squeezed through a cheesecloth, a nut bag, or a butter muslin. I do it by hand.
- Then add a bit of cold filtered water and continue kneading, discard water, and repeat process until the water runs as clear as possible.
- Transfer to air tight container or wrapped in parchment paper. Or placed into a butter such as this one.