What’s wrong with scented candles
- Candle wax is made from petroleum-derived paraffin, petroleum is a well known carcinogen and air pollutant
- They are scented with synthetic fragrances, also derived from petroleum. Synthetic fragrances contain hormone-disrupting chemicals known as phthalates (source)
- Candle wicks are often made with metals like tin, zinc, and even lead
- Soot. This is the result of incomplete combustion of petroleum based fuels (source)
The health risks
When the petroleum based candles are burn, all the toxins are released into the air polluting our home with fine particles. These particles make their way to our lungs and stick around hitching a ride in dust particles.
The pollution emitted can cause indoor allergy symptoms Phthalates have been be found to be linked to an array of issues. According to the EWG these include: Childhood obesity, asthma, infertility, reduced testosterone concentrations, and, most worrisome, abnormal development of reproductive system in baby boys (source). Lead micro particles are released into the air. There is no way to know what percentage of lead wicks contain, but according to this report if they are 95% lead they would emit was is regarded as the maximum level of lead children and adults should be exposed to over the course of one year. Lead, as we know, is a we know is a neurotoxin. The soot emitted can be hard to determined, the EPA has stated that the diffrence between one candle to the next can be as high as 100 times the amount of soot. Soot can be particularly damaging for developing fetuses, even the smallest amount of lead can enter their system as placenta offers very little protection against lead. Lead, in developing fetuses, can cause from learning disabilities and behavioral problems to miscarriage or severe damage to the central nervous system.
|Opt for 100% pure beeswax candles like these.|