A few weeks ago I wrote this post on what Real Food really is. I wanted to address that Real Food is not a fad diet, or a special diet. Real food is simply going back to the traditional way food was intended to be grown, raised, prepared, and cooked.
Take French fries for example, if you ask anyone they’ll tell you they are unhealthy. The fast food version of fries is. What would the Real food version be? Organic potatoes fried in a healthy fat like coconut oil, tallow, lard, or even leftover bacon fat. Real Food means going back to basics.
I thought I used to eat healthy, I used to buy lite yogurt, whole wheat bread, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, you know, the typical “healthy diet”. what’s wrong with all that, you ask? Lite yogurt is loaded with sugar (likely GMO) made from the milk of factory farm cows that are injected with hormones and antibiotics, plus we know now that the fat content in dairy is extremely healthy and has been unnecessarily vilified. Whole wheat bread is also loaded with high fructose corn syrup, preservatives and stabilizers among many many other ingredients, not to mention the wheat has not been properly prepared by soaking, sprouting, or souring. I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, ugh, I would need a whole post for this one; soy bean oil (GMO) synthetic chemicals…butter should be one ingredient only: cream (learn how to make your own butter here).
So after I wrote that post and stepped off my soap box, I set out to find recipes deemed unhealthy but that have been prepared with Real Food ingredients to prove the point that Real Food mean enjoying food again. Since I switched to this way of eating I don’t restrict myself, I enjoy food, and I know what I am eating is good for my body, and guess what? That is liberating and good for the soul!
Below I have made a small compilation or recipes a couple from me, a some by other bloggers that I admire and respect. I hope this list helps you liberate yourself from all the worrying and fretting that comes trying to eat healthy. Pin this post, bookmark it, email it to yourself (and to a few friends as well!) but keep this list ready when you need some ideas!
Real Food Recipes: Recreating Classic Dishes
- Soaked Whole Wheat Pancakes by Live Simply
- Customizable Honey Granola by The Pistachio Project (my suggestion, just make sure you soak your oats first)
- Homemade Overnight Cinnamon Rolls by Live Simply
- Soaked Oatmeal by We Got Real
- Simple Ham and Cheese Omelet in Basil Butter by Healthy Roots, Happy Soul
- Nutrient-Dense Mac & Cheese by Naturally Mindful
- Simple Ground Beef Gyros by We Got Real
- Simple Cucumber Avocado and Tomato Salad by Healthy Roots, Happy Soul
- Alphabet Chicken Soup by The Pistachio Project
- Perfectly Tender Beef Barley Soup by Live Simply
- Baked Fries in Bacon Fat by Suzy Homemaker
- Crock Pot Chicken (Whole Chicken) by Scratch Mommy
- Healthy Hamburger Helper by Health Starts in The Kitchen
- Chicken Enchiladas by We Got Real
- Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza by Live Simply
- Pulled Pork Sandwich with Homemade BBQ Sauce by The Earthy Mama
Dessert and Snacks
- Apple Cinnamon Donut Holes by The Earthy Mama
- Soaked No-Bake Granola Bars by Kitchen Stewardship
- Healthy Crock Pot Apple Sauce by Scratch Mommy
- Best Brownie Recipe by Live Simply
- Homemade BBQ Potato Chips by Sustainable Attainable
- Homemade Goldfish Crackers by Measuring Flower
- Homemade Apple-Pomegranate Soda by Naturally Mindful
- Chocolate Banana Protein Smoothie by Live Simply
- 4 Ingredient Chocolate Milk Syrup by The Earthy Mama
- Lavender Lemonade by They Call Me Oyster Girl
- Fermented Organge Juice (just like Orangina!) by Oh Lardy!
- Homemade Taco Seasoning by Healthy Roots, Happy Soul
- Homemade Mayonnaise by Attainable Sustainable
- Homemade Ranch Dressing by The Realistic Mama
- Soaked Whole Wheat Bread by We Got Real
- Easy Homemade Fermented Ketchup by Naturally Mindful
Now go get in your kitchen and enjoy how food was always meant to be!