I dislike cleaning the stove very much.
Very, very, much. Or at least I did until this DIY degreaser soft scrub. I’ll admit it, I used to let grease from cooking just sitting on the stove procrastinating cleaning it. The whole point of procrastination is you are avoiding to do something you don’t want to do, right? Oh, I’m somewhat of an expert on procrastination. I once started to read a book on how to break the habit of procrastination…but never finished it!
My point is, we avoid tasks we don’t really want to do because they are either daunting or not fun. Who says “yay! my stove is so dirty, I can’t wait to clean it!”?
I used to clean my stove with only baking soda and vinegar. Until I found out that mixing both is a moot point because one is alkali and the other one is acidic so they cancel each other out. You are left cleaning with only nice bubbles. Well, baking soda alone, even mixed with water, is a great cleaner due to it’s scrubbing power, but when you add the right ingredients you end up with a simple to make, yet super effective cleaner.
- - 4 oz. baking soda (this is my favorite natural brand)
- - 2 oz. castille soap, I prefer unscented. (Find it here)
- - 20-25 drops of pure sweet orange essential oil (find it here)
- Add baking soda and castille soap into a container of your choice (I used these 4 oz. Ball jars) and mix until a homogeneous paste has formed
- Add the sweet orange essential oil
- With a spray bottle wet surface and scoop some scrub with a natural fiber sponge or brush (I like this brand the best)
- Scrub until all grease or grime is removed
- Wipe clean with a wet towel
Baking soda and castille soap make a great soft scrub, and orange essential oil is the best at removing grease and grime. But did you also know that a study revealed that Valenica essential oil (a type of sweet orange) is also effective against E. coli? So this scrub also has anti-antibacterial properties making it great for counters where raw meat has been placed.
It’s not for nothing that conventional cleaning products taut that they use orange essential oil, the problem is that oil is usually synthetic, even the smell is synthetic. Those chemicals are irritants, linked to asthma, endocrine disruption, and even cancer.
All you need are these three ingredients and you have a natural, safe, and effective DIY degreaser soft scrub. Now, knock yourself out cleaning that stove!